Our exhibition on the Scottish independence referendum will be shown at Leiper Fine Art, West George Street, Glasgow from the 22nd of August until the 28th of September 2014.
The exhibition features editorial cartoons, comic strips and caricatures by artists from around the world and both sides of the independence debate. Visitors will be able to buy prints and, in some cases, original artwork by our contributing cartoonists.
Throughout the exhibitions’ run there will be a variety of events happening in the gallery. Cartoonists from the Scottish Cartoon Art Studio will be on hand creating new artwork as the referendum draws closer. We’ll be inviting leading figures from the debate to sit for caricatures. And every weekend we will be offering members of the public sketched caricatures too.
In addition there will be a programme of talks and presentations from the Studio and a variety of special guests:
- Thursday 4th September, 18.00-19.00: National Collective cartoonist Greg Moodie signs copies of his new book, Greg Moodie Versus The Union.
- Thursday 4th September, 19.30-20.30: Q&A with Greg Moodie plus music from YouTube sensation Lady Alba. PLEASE NOTE THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED.
- Friday 5th September, 19.30-20.30: Q&A with animator and cartoonist Malc McGookin. Book here.
- Saturday 6th September, 19.30-20.30: Q&A with Gill Hatcher and Stephen Goodall of Comic Soapbox Scotland. Book here.
- Tuesday 9th September, 19.30-20.30: screening of Cinders McLeod’s video retrospective My life as a political cartoon, reflecting upon the problem of gender inequality in press cartooning. Cartoonist Lorna Miller (Private Eye) and representatives from the National Union of Journalists and Women for Independence will be on hand to discuss the issues raised by Cinders’ thoughtful and provocative piece. Book here.
- Wednesday 10th September, 19.30-20.30: Q&A with illustrator David Kerr, as seen on Bella Caledonia, discusses his work with a contribution from Scottish CND. PLEASE NOTE THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
- Thursday 11th September, 19.30-20.30: Q&A with Wings Over Scotland cartoonist Chris Cairns. Book here.
- Friday 12th September, 19.30-20.30: Q&A with Edinburgh Evening News cartoonist Frank Boyle. Book here.
Please note that all talks are free of charge but places are limited so be sure to book a place using the links to Eventbrite.
The Scottish Cartoon Art Studio and Leiper Fine Art are grateful to our exhibition sponsor, the National Union of Journalists
Remember there are other opportunities to see the exhibition: selected works will be shown at the <a href="http://www.kingsplace best site.co.uk”>Guardian News & Media Gallery, King’s Place, London from the 19th of August to the 21st of September; in October it will be at the heart of an academic conference on cartoons at Institut d’Estudis Ilerdencs, Lleida; and the French iteration of the exhibition, previously seen during the spring and summer at the Centre International de la Caricature, du Dessin de Presse et d’Humour, will move to the Université de Limoges in the autumn.